Timeline: 2017 – 2018
Donor: Germany (GIZ)
The Cambodian Mission requested assistance in performing the demanding task of coordinating the LDC group in 2017. The DDA negotiations are vital for the LDCs group in this period where other outside initiatives threaten to jeopardize the development perspectives of LDCs. As the round entered in its crucial stage with the MC11 taking place at the end of 2017, the project of technical assistance was financed that helped the Permanent Mission of Cambodia to complete this challenging work, help the Group position itself clearly and protect their vital interests. In the second half of 2018, the extension of the project worked on helping LIDCs (ASEAN LDCs and WAEMU countries) in participation in the plurilateral discussions on e-commerce, that was launched after the MC11.
- Cambodia provides at least 5 contributions in WTO meetings on behalf of the LDC group.
- The delegation of Cambodia discusses the way forward with members of the LDC Group after the MC11.
- The delegations of ASEAN LDCs and WAEMU countries have analysed their positions and strategy in the e-commerce negotiations within the WTO.
“the project of technical assistance was financed that helped the Permanent Mission of Cambodia to complete this challenging work”
- Ongoing consultations with the coordinator and the focal points on the negotiations
- Preparing background information to make negotiating proposals or papers for discussion by the Group;
- Assisting in the drafting of negotiating proposals by the Group;
- Organizing informal gatherings of the LDC group to discuss specific proposals and advance the discussions within the group on different issues at hand in the negotiations.
- Providing papers and suggested talking points ahead of key WTO meetings for the coordinator.
- Discussion with Cambodian capital officials on the state of play prior to the MC11 and preparing the coordinator and the group to participate at the MC11.
- Participating at the MC11 and providing the assistance to Cambodia in Buenos Aires.
- Work on supporting the beneficiaries in preparing their position in the WTO e-commerce negotiations.
- At the regional level, a mission is organised to attend regional meetings discussing e-commerce issues relevant to the region.